Friday, July 5, 2013

Too many interesting things

There are just too many interesting things in the world to be able to absorb them all. Most of what I read, I'd say, goes into my subconscious, only to be retrieved when external things call it to mind. I can't intentionally go back and get the information because I've forgotten it's even there. And even when it does come to mind, only the general vibe returns, with very few of the specifics. I feel this makes for a very reactive, reflexive way of making decisions and means that often I can't fully articulate why I have made such a decision. I also have trouble recalling enough information to be able to explain a concept I've read about to another person. I can only wonder that this might be greatly decreasing my quality of life, given the amount of time I actually spend reading (most of the day!) - I have so little to show for my time. I'd really rather feel like I've spent my time well. Maybe I can learn to filter, to acknowledge my own boundaries, that I can't internalise every piece of information and discussion that looks interesting. Instead, I can choose - yes, choose! - to focus on things that seem overly interesting, and humbly allow the others to pass me by in the proverbial river of time. Who knows, perhaps I'll float by then again later down stream, but in the mean time, I'll at least be better able to enjoy where I'm currently at. Maybe I'll learn something worthwhile that I could possibly even be able to pass on to others. Sounds a lot more satisfying, and a lot less depressing.

No comments:

Post a Comment